Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible to maintain the relational database management systems (RDBMS) that includes the role of database design, implementation, support and maintenance of structured databases of organisations. It also includes the role of architecting, building and scaling of databases that lead to future data growth, performance and availability to users. DBA ensures that the data of organisation is easily operational and secured, so that whenever the organisation needs any information, Database Administrator strives to fulfill the requirements. The important factor that is associated with DBA is that it performs regular tests and updates to make sure that database is running well. Hence it keeps better analyzation on issues and also performs required troubleshooting actions. The main goal that is meet by DBA is to keep server up, so that whenever user requires any information, it helps them to access that information. DBA ensures that there is less amount of data loss and the data is highly protected from being unauthorized access.
Database Administrator Tasks
Good knowledge of structured query language, sound database design and understanding of network architecture helps Database Administrator to complete its responsibilities. DBA plays crucial role in case of emergencies or system failures as it poses the backup recovery options.
Following are the important tasks done by Database Administrator for smooth running of server and database.
- Installation, configuration and migration: System administrators are responsible for hardware and operating system implementations, but the software implementation is the complete job of Database Administrators. For better software installation, DBA needs to establish communication with system administrator and the job role requires the complete knowledge of hardware architecture. DBA installs software and then configure it with various options of software deployment. With the updated release of software, DBA decides that how to implement them for the proper coordination among databases. If server is requiring replacement, then its DBA’s job to bring data from old server into new server.
- Monitoring of Database Server: To know the performance of database server there are some important key factors that are required to be monitor such as, optimal performance of running server, error log for database errors, database routine maintenance etc.
- Backup and Recovery: DBA establishes standards for database backup that includes the functions of development, implementation and periodic testing for backup and recovery plan. It helps to manage schedules for data backup that includes all the files that are required for recovery of data.
- Database Security: As the database centralizes the stored data, there is great number of chances of data hacking. Hence, DBA needs to understand the security model and must be able to control over the access of data. There are three basic tasks that DBA consists of to maintain the database security: 1. Authentication, 2. Authorization and 3. Auditing.
- Data Storage and Capacity planning: The main purpose database serves is to store and retrieve data, so there are some certain factors that are planned prior only such as, disk storage capacity and available space to store data. The fixed space of database and transaction log are important for proper use of storage space. DBA monitors the disk storage capacity and also adds new storage space whenever it requires.