IBM Cognos software is an online-based business intelligence platform that offers a complete array of BI software to address company goals. Considered one of the leaders in the field of business intelligence, Cognos is comprised of over thirty different products. Cognos’ abilities include dash boarding, reporting, analytics, score carding, and, notably, data integration.
Cognos is also easily manageable by IT, as data access control tools allow a centralized system to determine the extent of what an individual user is able to see and do. Such tools maintain proper levels of clearance and ensure both internal and external data security. In the case of Cognos Express, the smaller scale of the implementation also makes it easier for IT to manage.
What is Cognos?
Cognos is Business Intelligence software that enables users to extract data, analyze it, and then assemble reports.
Business Intelligence (BI): BI refers to technologies, applications and practices for the collection, integration, analysis, and presentation of business information.
- Purpose of BI
To support better, improved and more efficient Decision Making.
- BI Systems Provide
BI systems provide historical, current, and predictive views of business operations.
- BI Systems Information
Uses data that has been gathered into a data warehouse or data mart.
- BI Software Elements
Software elements support the use of this information by assisting in the extraction, analysis, and reporting of information.
IBM Cognos BI Project Phases
Phase 1 – Project Planning, Acquisition & Migration
Phase 2 – Central User Reports – AFR / MFR Report Schedules
Phase 3 – Standard Reporting Package Development & Power User access – Begin Financial Assessment Process
Phase 4 – Central User Ad-hoc Reports
Phase 5 – Statement of Accounts Report Development
Phase 6 – Special Purpose Reports
Phase 7 – Evaluate Delivered Banner Cubes and Automate Define to Banner Fee Revenue and Accounts Receivable Reconciliation.
The implementation process for IBM Cognos is as follows (note it is based on company needs/requirements):
- Discuss requirements and goals of the company using the solution
- Install server and client components for Cognos
- Install database and ETL configuration
- Load master data and configure historical data loads
- Deploy other pre-built applications, such as the Framework Manager models, reports, and dashboards
- End-to-end testing of the solution
- Deliver installation documentation to users
- Transfer information to users
- Remote support up to two days after implementation is done
Cognos is usable with multidimensional and relational data sources from various companies, such as Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, and more.
Featured programs include: Cognos TM1, Cognos Insight, Cognos Express, Cognos Enterprise, Cognos Disclosure, Management.
The Cognos Express debuted its latest version in June 2015 with these new features/enhancements (those that own this program will now have access to the latest versions/releases of Cognos TM1 and Cognos BI):
- Simpler user interface and deployment
- Ability to install Cognos TM1 and Cognos BI on separate machines
- Ability to work with Microsoft Excel
- SSL Support
- Linux support for Cognos TM1
IBM services over 23,000 companies from a broad cross-section of industries including aerospace, defense, banking, education, healthcare and many more. Below are some of their clients:
- GKN Land System
- Spain’s Ministry of Defense
- British Airways
- Troy Corporation
- Michigan State University
- Lufthansa Cargo
Conclusion: IBM Cognos BI Enables Better, Faster Decisions
Broad Range of Users
- Simplified role based interfaces
- Targeted content and capabilities
- Flexible and scalable platform
- Based on accurate, complete information
- Aligned with strategic goals and initiatives
- Based on proven practices
- Information when users need it
- How they need it
- Where they need it