In 1993 a software company Informatica was founded which provide data integration solutions. A lot of times when people say Informatica they actually mean Informatica Power Center.
In short, it is world’s most important ETL tool which quickly grip over the market as an Enterprise Integration Platform.
It provides applications for the following Data Integration areas:
- Data Migration – ERP and legacy systems consolidation, new application implementation
- Data Synchronization – business-to-business data transfer
- Data Warehousing
- Data Hubs, Data Marts
- Master Data Management (MDM)
- Business Intelligence Reporting
- Business Activity Monitoring (BAM)
It is of two types- Active and Passive
Active Transformation – With the help of Active transformation we can alter the no. of rows which is passes through the transformation and can alter the row type or transaction boundary. For example, Filter, Transaction Control and Update Strategy are active transformations.
The following are the list of active transformations used for processing the data –
- Source quilter transformation
- Filter transformation
- Ruler transformation
- Rank Transformation
- Sorter transformation
- Joiner transformation
- Union Transformation
- Aggregate Transformation
- Transaction control transformation
- Normalize transformation
- Update strategy transformation
- SQL Transformation
Passive Transformation – With the help of passive transformation we cannot alter the no. of rows which goes through it and maintains the row type and transaction boundary.
The following are the list of passive transformations used for processing data.
- Expression transformation
- Sequence generated transformation
- Stored procedure transformation
- Look up transformation
- XML source qualifier transformation
- SQL Transformation
Various business components which are placing a key role in developing data warehouse are as follows:
- Informatica power center
- Informatica power connect
- Informatica power mart
- Informatica power exchange
- Informatica power analyses
- Informatica power quality
- It supposed to process high volume of data.
- It support ERP source such as SAP, PeopleSoft etc.
- It supports both global and local repositories
- It can convert a local repository into global repository
Informatica power connect –
It helps to extract data and metadata from ERP system and other third party applications.
Informatica power mart –
It is recommended to process low volumes of data.
It doesn’t support ERP sources such as SAP, people soft etc.
It supports local repository.
There is no specialty to convert local to global repository.
Informatica power exchange –
It helps organizations leverage data by avoiding manual coding of data extraction programs.
It supports batch, real time and changed data capture options in main frame, mid-range and for relational databases and flat files in UNIX, Linux and windows systems.
Informatica power analyses –
It provides organizations with reporting facilities.
It enables to gain insight into business processes and develop business intelligence.
An organization can extract, filter, format, and analyze corporate information from data stored in a data warehouse, data mart, operational data store or other data storage models.
It makes accessing, examining and sharing enterprise data simple and easily available to decision makers.
Informatica power quality –
It provides the ability to scale services and to share resources across multiple machines.
It is a set of applications and components which can integrate with Informatica Power Center to provide enterprise-strength data quality capability in a broad scale.
Mapping Components –
Extraction transformation and loading can define the word Mapping. With the help of these three components we can design it-
- Source Definition – It is the structure of the source file by which we can extract the data.
- Target definition- It is the structure of the target tables by which data loads.
- Transformation logic- It defines data transformation.
Informatica Power Center Architecture
- It is a service oriented Architecture.
- It provides capability to share service and resource across several machines
The following services form the Informatica Power Center processing engine:
Integration Service –
It performs and executes the ETL logic.
Repository Service –
It handles connectivity to the metadata repositories where mapping and workflow descriptions are stored.
Repository Service Process –
This is a multi-threaded procedure that insert, updates and retrieves warehouse metadata.
Repository is like a database which holds the ETL metadata.
Informatica client applications are a type of desktop tools which produces transformations, handles metadata, performs ETL process and observes them.
Designer– This developer tool is used for the development of ETL mappings.
Workflow Manager – It used to run mapping and it has a variety of task to manager source and target and running workflows.
Workflow Monitor– It is used to monitor execution of workflow and session.
Repository Manager– It is a tool used to deal with source or targets connections.
Administrator console– It is a web based tool. It executes domain and warehouse service tasks like achieve backups, configure services, etc.